[CQ-Contest] unIDs

Ivo Pezer I7/9A3A E73A ivo.pezer at alice.it
Sun Dec 4 01:54:52 PST 2011

Hi Yuri

> >In any case, IMHO work the station, and then for whatever reason not to
> >LOG
> > it, is a cowardly wrong thing to do. I would never do that and will not
> > recommend it to anybody else.

With all respect, if a rare station decision not to ID should be considered
brave/reasonable/strategic, the other station, who works for his own score,
should also be fully respected when deciding when he can not spend more time
waiting to complete a QSO, which by the DX station is self-interpreted as
complete. The fact is that only DX station indeed received a full call
sign - the other station did not have an opportunity to hear it at the time
(half) QSO took place because DX station assumes it is reasonable that
others wait.

I've, like many others, noticed increased no-ID practice last weekend while
operating as T70A. I think more and more operators consider this nowadays as
a personnal rule. Not having at my disposal big antennas, with the
cluster/skimer generated pile ups it is difficult to get any attention of
the needed multiplier unless you are loud and I fully understand the
frustration. The fun should be two ways and QSO points for a good QSO are a
reward to both stations.

To ID every second or third QSO in a large pile up may seem reasonable, but
not to ID should not be a RULE: if I miss DX callsign, when DX, at his own
pattern IDs, (high speed, QRM etc) I need to wait another 2-3  or in your
case 4-5 QSOs and hope there will be no QRM when you ID again. By not
knowing who is maximzing score behind 5NN 8, the risk is also that I may be
spending MY VALUABLE time on a possible dupe QSO.

If a DX station wants to increase score by saving time and not sending the
callsign often enough, I do not understand why would one on the other end be
"coward" if he can not get that callsing in reasonable time. We are sharing
the same time and yours can not be more valuable than mine - if you decide
to send a call sign every 4-5 QSOs, I should also have right to decide how
many Qs will be my "patience" time.

IMHO, a good practice is MUTUAL RESPECT when running a pile up. This does
not necessarily mean ID every QSO but  is more occassional non-ID, rather
than ID only at the pre-set  time intervals/x number of QSOs.

>From my experience, the beauty of a pile up is when I feel fully
sinchronized with the "crowd" - when they understand the pattern I use and
start using the same style (complete QSO as quickly as possible - cooperate
with me). This requires continuing adjustment of the operating style: QRS if
asked to do so, QRS your ID occassionaly when running a large pile up, ID on
intervals that make sense for that particular moment but more importantly
FULL RESPECT. The crowd will understand occassional TU means I've got two
more in the line, they will understand T70A immediatelly after they gave me
a report also means TU, or regular TU T70A when it is likely there was
nobody waiting for a QSO. In this case TU will indicate to the one who tunes
the band I've just completed a QSO.

Likewise, 599 15, ENN 15, ENN A5, ENN AE are all within the rules, mean the
same, and in case "one DXCC one Zone" should be looked as "time savers" for
both DX and station worked.. Time saving by ID every x QSOs is only one way
and in some cases unfair.

Without participation of all smalll pistols we would have little to enjoy
therefore their time must be fully respected.

73 Ivo I7/9A3A  T70A in CQ WW CW

E73A, ex 5B4ADA/C4A