[CQ-Contest] Big jump in qrz.com lookups after 10m contest

Mike N1TA mike at n1ta.com
Thu Dec 15 14:50:35 PST 2011

> One suggestion if I may - don't publish your "correct" data here on
> the CQ-Contest reflector.  I assume if they are willing to look on QRZ
> for verification, chances are they will also use info posted here as
> well to fix their logs.  Definitely not cool.  My take on it is - copy
> is what is sent over the air during the contest - don't rely on QRZ or
> any of the other web sites out there to verify what you copied.  If
> someone copied it wrong - they will find out from their UBN report.

<in jest>Yes, we should also stop talking about the contest afterwards
to our friends. They will talk to their friends, and they will talk to
their friends, and pretty soon everyone will know where we were and what
we sent during the contest. And that just isn't right! So from now on
everyone should post false zones and sections and encrypted after-action
reports here on the list. I keep my logs behind a door with a retina
scan installed, at least until the submission deadline.</in jest>

In all seriousness, I agree that looking up callbook data after the
contest is wrong. I also think that it is also totally impractical, and
I don't think the top competitors are doing it. I'm not even sure how
much advantage can be gleaned from it, unless you need a TON of fills -
in which case, you aren't much of a threat anyway.

Chances are, the bump in lookups is from casual operators. And we should
just be glad they're giving us some points.

N1TA