[CQ-Contest] What contributes to your score the most?

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Sat Feb 12 13:54:53 PST 2011

Hi Scott,

I'm not clear if you are using one radio, or two. With a tribander stack I
suspect one.

Having a second radio will help, though not so much in the sense that the
really good guys can run on one and find and work mults on the other. More
like  it makes things a lot easier to check other bands to determine what is
happening.  Is 15 open to EU? Are the Europeans loud on 40 yet?

The other thing that will help your score is lots of operating time, better
 many small portions than a few big portions. Though not the operating
style of  DX contests, the Thursday evening NS sprints (0230-0300z) will give
you a lot of  practice in high speed CW operating, which may let you boost
your speed and rate  during prime DX contest openings. There are lots of other
"minor" contests  that will let you keep your head in shape for when the big
ones come.

I agree that a new radio will make you feel good, but of itself not be a
huge improvement.

73   -   Jim  K8MR

In a message dated 2/12/2011 3:42:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
w2lc at twcny.rr.com writes:

Ken,  Just to let you know I was not insulted at  all.

Everyone,

>From the responses I received there are quite  a few contesters out there
that are using older radios like I am. Nice to know  that I am not alone.
Sure I would like band decoders and amplfiers that  actually run 1500W, I have
been looking at the FT-2000's, looks like about  $3500 with a few
accessories added.

Having an older radio is like  living in a less than optimum location, you
work with what you have. I see a  lot of guys putting in some excellent
scores with stations and locations I am  sure they would like to improve.

My next addition will either be a new  radio of perhaps some newer yagi's.
I am currently using 3 stacked  tri-banders. For what they are they work
pretty well.

So here is a  question for everyone. My CQWW CW best is: QSOs 2543, Zones
132, Cntrys 425,  Score before log checking 4,077,797. 40 hours of operating
time. How much does  a new radio improve on that score? Does a new FT-2000
put me over 5 million?  over 6 million?

Was the radio really the limiting factor? I say a brand  new radio would
not have changed that score all that much.

--
73  Scott W2LC