[CQ-Contest] Not a Serious Contester Definition

Kevin Schmidt w9cf at ptolemy.la.asu.edu
Mon Feb 14 00:56:00 PST 2011

When I used a non CAT capable radio, I hooked up a pic microcontroller as
a frequency counter and serial port to read the frequency using a minmial
Kenwood protocol just so that the TRlog band would follow the radio. Later
on I found that N1MM read the frequency fine from the same interface.
The parts cost was about $20.

But having said that, I don't see where writing the "exact" frequency
from a non CAT radio (I assume that 1 KHz would be adequate for log
checking) is that much worse than writing the time back when we used
paper logging. Certainly for running, you only need to record it when
you change run frequency, and its just an extra 3 digits when S&Ping.

73 Kevin w9cf