[CQ-Contest] Topband allocations in Region 1 and the ARRL DXcontest

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 16 15:43:57 PST 2011

I agree that what the chart says does not agree with
the real allocations.  In 16 years as Director of the CQ 160 Contests plus
10 more years as N4IN's helper we got messages each year about allocations
and power limitations.

For example, a DL8 who was a regular noted that the German power limit was
75 watts.  An LA told me the actual band in Norway was 1810 to 1850, a PY1
who used to be very active on 160 said the band in Brazil was only 1830 to
1850.  I visited a PY1 in 1991 and he showed me an official document with
the actual limitation.

At least through 2004, the UK could run 400 watts up to 1850 but only 10
watts up to 1900.  In 2006 an EA regular complained that EA3 and EA4URE club
stations operated outside the band of 1850 max on SSB and ran well over the
200 watt power limit.  Funny but I worked a number of DL's and UK stations
on my SSB run frequency of say 1870.  Those UK stations were loud for low,
low power.

Don and I agreed that we tried to answer all the complaints but let the
contestants run unless we got an official complaint which we never did.

73 Dave K4JRB