[CQ-Contest] The Oracle Spoke

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Feb 28 14:32:27 PST 2011

Maybe not "exactly".  In a couple of the pictures I see what appears to
be a special fixture used to anchor the extension ladder to the tower,
there is a pull-up line to support the weight, and Andrew (I assume it's
him) is tied off to the ladder by a lanyard.  Now he *is* a little mad,
but...

In any case, this is nothing like as hairy as the professional tower
guys and the 197-foot crane operator trying to jog the top 100 feet of
K4JA's super-105 40M tower into place on the bottom 100 feet.  The
amounts of weight involved and potentially swinging suddenly, and the
very limited leverage anyone had, would have scared me silly.  Wish you
could see the pix but most of them are gone, even from the wayback
machine.  The whole shebang, 200 feet of tower on a rotating base and 2
OWA yagis, went up in a single day, on the Friday before the ARRL CW
contest.  Finished at 6:05 PM, almost in the dark.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com