[CQ-Contest] Icom 756PRO as a CW contest rig

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sun Jan 2 01:56:51 PST 2011

It's a horrible contest rig, for either CW or SSB.  I still keep mine as
a backup (my regular rig is now a K3), but during contests the AGC
pumping on CW and the "growling" on SSB drove me crazy.  The thumping on
CW from strong stations 20 KHz away made even moderate signals difficult
to copy, and I sometimes got growling on SSB from stations even further
away than that.  It's a decent general purpose rig, but I'd never rely
on it for contest work without someone holding a gun to my head.  You'd
get the same poor performance from it if you were trying to work weak DX
within 10 or 15 KHz of a strong pileup or loud station.

Look at the Sherwood data on it if you don't believe me.  Pretty ugly ...

73,
Dave  AB7E