[CQ-Contest] Revised 2011 NAQP Rules

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Tue Jan 4 23:29:02 PST 2011

I regularly use the waterfall display of CW Skimmer in Blind Mode and 3
KHz Audio Mode (actually only about 300 Hz bandwidth) for unassisted
operation in CW contests because it has great resolution and gives me
12-15 running seconds of visual display in case I screw up receiving a
character by ear.  I don't have to rely on it very often, but when I do
it saves me from asking for a repeat.

I don't think that's the real point of this discussion, though.  The
problem I see with almost all of these rule definitions (from contest
sponsor and interested participant alike) is that they focus on listing
what is not acceptable to use instead of clearly defining what the
acceptable entry would look like.  If I order prime rib at a restaurant
I describe what I want and how I want it cooked ... I don't list all the
kinds of meat I don't want (chicken, pork, fish) and I don't list all
the utensils I don't want it cooked with (deep fat fryer, microwave,
propane torch).  Contest sponsors need to define what unassisted
operation looks like without trying to define what it doesn't look
like.  So far I haven't seen any of them do that very well, and as long
as they focus on defining what it isn't the rest of us have to guess at
what it is by process of elimination.

Dave   AB7E