[CQ-Contest] CW Skimmer via 3G Wireless on FD

Jukka Klemola jpklemola at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 02:01:09 PDT 2011

2011/6/28 Dave Hachadorian <k6ll at ...
> I'm spending the summer in Big Bear Lake, CA and operated with
> the local club on Field Day.
> we do a lot of S&P, rather than CQ'ing.  This year, I thought
> it would be fun to tap into a remote CW Skimmer to make the S&P
> less boring, especially late in the contest
> It worked out great, and added a significant fun factor
> to the CW operation.
> For a remote Skimmer, we connected to VE7CC-1 Telnet node, and
> limited spotter state to Utah only.  Utah has two excellent
> Skimmers, located fairly close to our Southern California
> In all, it turned out to be $62 well-spent, adding a lot to the
> enjoyment of FD.  Next year, it will cost only $10.
>
> Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
> Big Bear Lake, CA

Dave sends an exceptional message to everybody.
Not many have congratulated the work done for making the remotely
accessible Skimmers.

I can tell, also we had good Fun using Skimmer at OH4A in WPX CW.

The usual messages here on the reflector are about how all technology
takes good Fun out of contesting.

Well ..
I prefer to use more modern technology than 1960's chairs without
advanced swivel mechanisms and a bunch of old fashioned pencils
needing sharpening.

And I like to backspace on N1MM logging SW screen instead of applying
a rubber eraser on paper.

Plus a pile of other new stuff we all enjoy.

Thank you for the new technology to those involved making it happen.
Especially the Skimmer and spotting systems that all can use.

73,
Jukka OH6LI