[CQ-Contest] Two Single operators, one club call sign

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Fri Mar 4 11:19:01 PST 2011

Hello Maarten,

English difficulties are not the exclusive territory of people who have
a different primary language. Here's a true story I hope you enjoy.

My younger brother had just received his novice license (early 1960's).
I am certain he was both anxious and nervous to make his first radio
(CW) contact. I told him how a typical contact would 'work'. A station
calls CQ, someone answers, the CQer will send his call, a signal report,
QTH and name, and then end with the caller's call sign. Then it will be
other stations' turn to send the same info back.

My brother found a strong station calling CQ so I told him to answer him
with his new callsign a couple of times. The station came back to him
and started sending the predicted information. I was sitting across the
room to (hopefully) reduce his anxiety and tension. I was copying the
other station in my head.

My brother started his part of the exchange, but after sending his QTH
and name he added "I 'misted' your name". When I heard that, I told him
"his name is Walt". So at the other end, the operator heard: "I misted
your name... (long pause)... Walt".

I wonder if the other operator got a chuckle out of that. I should ask
my brother remembers his first contact! I certainly do... and my funny
bone still enjoys thinking about "misting Walt's name"!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Oh, BTW... our mother is 100% Dutch (the DeBruin family from Driel,
Gelderland, NL). Maybe the 'misting' has something to do with the
heredity??? :-)