[CQ-Contest] Incomplete SS exchange

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Mon Nov 7 12:03:50 PST 2011

In a message dated 11/7/2011 1:39:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Georgek5kg at aol.com writes:

I am  throwing this out there for comment.

In SS, I worked a number of ops  who did not send their callsign  as part
of
the exchange.  I  found this to be very frustrating  for several reasons,
namely (1)  sending the callsign as part of the  "required exchange" is
specified  in the SS rules, (2) it breaks  the rhythm when copying the
exchange, and
finally (3) it gives the op an  advantage by not taking time to send  his
callsign.

Question: Should there be a penalty for not sending  the callsign as part
of
the required exchange?

73, George,  K5KG

No.

Further, I don't think it gains as much (if any) time to not send it
(unless maybe you have a very long call). I've watched people operate, and  of
course worked thousands of contest QSOs. Can you think of why you so often,
especially in SS, wait so long for the other guy to start sending his
exchange  after you've sent him yours?  It's because he's still typing the stuff
you  sent, and he won't start sending until he gets done typing..

So the couple of seconds you think you save by not sending your  call, it
often just goes into the time waiting until the other guy gets  done typing
and is ready to start sending.

Of course, not sending your call may save you a few millijoules of  energy
by putting less RF into the ether  :>)

73  -  Jim  K8MR