[CQ-Contest] BOGUS RATES: Pot calling the kettle black?

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Nov 8 04:45:57 PST 2011

> By far,the biggest "fault," (if you want to use such a term) is on the
> part of the callers,
> not the guy running the pileup.
>
> How many guys, who are tuning across the band and run into a pileup,
> actually give the
> call of the guy are calling?  5%?

There is NO rule you have to give the other fellow's callsign. That went
away years ago, I think around the 1980's.

The rule is you have to give YOUR OWN callsign either at least once every
ten minutes or when you end a contact. I don't have to give my call when
initially transmitting, but I always do when I leave and always within ten
minutes after I start.

At least that was what was explained to me years ago when I questioned the
meaning of "communication".  The wording used to be "transmission", not
"communication", and used to require an ID at the start of a transmission or
series of transmissions if I remember the old rule correctly.

Not giving a callsign is dumb anyway. I'd bet that results in a lot of busts
or time delay.

73 Tom