[CQ-Contest] Incomplete SS exchange

w2lc at twcny.rr.com w2lc at twcny.rr.com
Thu Nov 10 12:35:33 PST 2011

Well Joe.... I admit it, I recently changed my check in SS a few years ago. Why? My "real" check of 69 just doesn't get through on SSB, way too many repeats are asked for, so I decided to use another number. But not just any number, my new check is 96 the year I got the callsign W2LC. So I figured close enough to rule 4.4.1. Since I moved into this house in 96, that counts as the "station" part of the rule, doesn't it? Or does 96 meet the first part "year first licensed" (as W2LC), I'm adding words to the rule here aren't I.

Another local changed his check too, I think he mostly uses either 55 or 59.  59 for a check on SSB sounds good ! I think he used "44" this year on CW. That's a good one too!

You can tell who is using a database when you change your check, those are most of the people who ask ck?  On top of that I operated from NNY this year instead of my usual WNY, that also caused quite a few "Sec?" as well as "ck?".

Or did I move into this house in 97?  Looks like a check change is in order !

73 Scott W2LC