[CQ-Contest] CHECKLOGS -- another view CQWW-wise

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Thu Nov 24 09:27:16 PST 2011

Jim,

My understanding from current and former Hq people I've talked with is that
this practice (giving DXCC credit based on logs submitted for the ARRL DX
contests) was discontinued sometime in the early 1960's.  As you surmise,
the problem was administrative; as the contests got more popular and more
activity, the number of submitted logs rose to the point to make it too time
consuming (and thus expensive) to continue, to comb through pages upon pages
of paper logs to find matches.

This was (I have been told) one of the reasons behind the creation of
Logbook of the World, to provide a means to do so, but not just for the ARRL
DX contests.

I think in general it's a good idea.  Of course, if you're already signed up
for LotW, it's no big deal to make two submissions... one to the contest
robot, one to LotW.

It's too bad that LotW doesn't appear to have an advocate at Hq. like Wayne
N7NG was.  He had a real passion for the program, and to be honest, I
haven't seen that level of enthusiasm for it since he retired.  T

I do find your idea of adding a Cabrillo "Yes/No" entry for LotW entries a
good one.  Too bad that we can't seem to get anyone to even consider that
same idea for Open Log submissions.

73, ron w3wn