[CQ-Contest] unIDs - delineated

kr2q at optimum.net kr2q at optimum.net
Mon Nov 28 05:57:59 PST 2011

Yes, lots of unIDs this weekend.   But for me, there were two types:

1.  GIANT pileup, nearly unmanageable.  The idea is, that by NOT sending your call, you will/can
work down the pileup, getting it to a more reasonable level (higher rate).  The problem with this
is that the "damned cluster" sends the masses to your frequency.  The cluster types think that
they "know" the call, so they are not bothered by (or bother with) copying the guy's actual
callsign.  But let's face it, why would you ID "every time" (or even "often) if you had an
essentially unlimited number of callers.  ID only slows you down AND would (in theory) attract
even more callers (all of us "right" guys who want to copy the callsign).  So I can understand
the motivation for not IDing "often enough" of those of us waiting.  I had one pileup guy who
did not ID for the 2 minutes and 45 seconds that I was listening for his call (yeah, one of those
needed zones).  I left.

2.  Then there are the "other" unIDers.  They have a totally manageable pileup (or no pile at
all) and yet they hang their ID.  Why?  For me, this is really where you can spot the
Cluster-addicts.  Again, no ID for long stretches, but I keep hearing "new" callers.  How do the
"new callers" know who it is?  I've been listening a while and I know that THEY have not been
there before.  They just "show up," make their one call, get the qso, and leave, having
NEVER heard the call of what they just worked.  Really?  For these guys, maybe we should
the category name from Assisted to Blind Faith (not the band, if you're old enough).

3.  Finally, being a QRPer, I take the attitude that Hey, if they are not doing to ID, they
must be a BIG contest station and will be there all weekend.  I'll find them sooner or later
when they do give their callsign.  For the rest of you, try an antacid, cuz it "aint going
away."

de Doug KR2Q