[CQ-Contest] Calling Disease in light of FAIR PLAY

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Mon Nov 28 18:19:56 PST 2011

It has been an eye opening experience from J6.  We have been hounded
with most all of the the previous people have spoken about.  Apparently
599 8 now means TU or should I say enn 8.  I guess we don't need to copy
anything but callsigns now.

This is very bad on RTTY where big stations attempt to brute force
contacts by effectively jamming the station that was called.

I would agree that the USA stations are getting much worse where K2
means everyone but the K2 gets to call.

Don't even get me started on the behavior of a great many stations
across the big pond.  The list of abusers is enormous.

I was last in KP2 land in the 90's and the operating practices have
changed dramatically and for the worse.

For the record other than a very brief time we signed our call after
every qso in the contest.  I tried limiting the use of our call for
pileup management but it really did not matter.  I even tried split on
the high end of 10m and it really doesn't work.

I am not sure why the European stations are not using the reverse
beacons.  When we were not spotted in EU by a real person the pileups
were ok.  As soon as a spot from an EU hit the cluster it was instant
bedlam and a pileup that was completely unworkable due to the endless
calling.  We moved numerous times when this happened.  Maybe super cw
ops can deal with these huge pileups better but for an average guy it is
pretty crazy!

Thanks for all the contacts in the test.

Mike W0MU

J6M CQ WW DX CW Contest 2011
J6/W0MU November 21 - December 1 2011
W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net