[CQ-Contest] Inequity of Zone Checking

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Wed Nov 30 07:56:17 PST 2011

On 30/11/2011 11:34, kr2q at optimum.net wrote:

> From an international standpoint, for CQWW, it would be grossly unfair to check the copied
> zones.

CQWW is a callsign-copying contest - no more and
no less.

For CQWW, zones (whether Sent or Received) are
not cross-checked - if only, as KR2Q suggests,
because it would be grossly unfair to do so.

There are two immediate consequences, depending
on whether you need to know your zone multiplier
status at all times.

If you do, you should log the zone that should
have been sent, otherwise you may not be aware
of needed zones.

If not, simply accept whatever the logging software
suggests for the zone.  Remember, logged zones are
not cross-checked - and CQ scores all logs based
solely on their understanding of the country, zone
and continent corresponding to each callsign.

Again, in CQWW, reports (whether Sent or Received)
are not cross-checked.  This means that, regardless
of the report received, there's no need to log
anything other than 59(9) - and this saves time.

I know this may come as a shock to some people,
but that's the way it is.  The principle of "log
what was sent" does not always apply.

73,
Paul EI5DI