[CQ-Contest] Opinion: SO-unassisted should not be using CW Skimmer

w5ov at w5ov.com w5ov at w5ov.com
Wed Nov 30 08:33:48 PST 2011

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion; it is not necessarily
representative of the official position of any contest committee I may be
a member of.

I disagree with two things Tor says.

1) I also do not see *ANY* difference between a local and remote skimmer
system - if it's not the operator finding stuff, it doesn't make any
difference whether it's local or not. So, there is no "BIG" difference -
they are both the same: i.e; not the operator doing the finding. Contests
should not consider these two different categories - assistance is
assistance.

2) I also do not agree that "skimmer is not very good at copying weak
signals on the low bands". This is just not true. It is amazingly good at
finding new signals and quickly. Granted, it may not be as good as a
skilled human, but again, that makes no difference as whatever it does, is
providing assistance.

Skimmer is an amazing technology and I have a great respect for what it
can do. But, to pretend that having such a system installed locally should
not be considered assistance is just foolish logic.

73,

Bob W5OV