[CQ-Contest] ARRL language on what is "assisted"

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Mon Oct 24 10:59:38 PDT 2011

I think I have to agree with your argument as the rules are written,
Doug, although I'd bet $100 that the ARRL didn't mean it to be
interpreted that way.  It just illustrates a point I've tried to make
several times before ... namely that a lot of the confusion and dialog
we have about contest rules are because of sloppy wording of those
rules.  Too many times the rules are written as if they already assume
the reader knows what the intent was.  I think CQWW has recently put
forth a lot more effort on that and ARRL needs to follow suit.

Remember our discussion on "Skimmer-like" technology?  The latest CQWW
rules do a much better job of handling that kind of thing now.  The
current rules pretty clearly explain what single op unassisted should
look like ... without any reference at all to anything specific like CW
Skimmer ... and then they separately describe what kinds of things
(including "Skimmer-like technology") are OK for assisted categories.
The way it is written, using CW Skimmer in a manner that does not
violate the description of unassisted operation (such as merely using
the waterfall of CW Skimmer in blind mode) would be perfectly legal.  I
was actually pretty impressed with that approach and whoever wrote it
that way should be congratulated.

73,
Dave   AB7E