[CQ-Contest] 100 Watt power limit for Sprints-Discuss

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Mon Sep 19 06:05:23 PDT 2011

I have been a competitor the Sprints since the 1990s, and,  to the best of
my recollection, have finished in the Top Ten LP every  time I entered,
except once (I was 11th). I won the LP category once, and  had a few top five
finishes.

I ask...please... don't change anything!

This is one contest where a small pistol can actually thrive in a
competitive environment.  I have no aluminum.  The thickest  conductor on any of my
antennas is #22 wire, with an average height of  about 30', hidden from view
in an antenna-restricted neighborhood.  I  take a 20 dB pounding from the
High Power guys running 1500 watts into gain  antennas, yet 30 minutes into
the contest, I'm keeping pace with many of the Big  Guns.  I credit this to a
positive attitude and a very agile station.

I've never done a practice Sprint, I've rarely done two Sprints in  a
season (I'm a musician, and Saturday nights are my money  nights).  Despite this,
I still feel like I can be competitive in this  contest, and I love the
fight!  Having said that, the LP scores in the most  recent Sprint were
terrific, so staying in the Top Ten in the future will  be a huge challenge.

But if you look at the close cluster of scores in the LP category, it seems
 unlikely that anyone is cheating.  But IF someone IS  running 1500W to get
a competitive LP score, shame on  you, you're just making us legitimate
small pistols look that  much better!

The beauty of the Sprint is that the QSY rule is the great equalizer.   It
forces everyone to do what us low power guys do best -- S &P!  I  think if
there is any way to further categorize the competition, it would  be to have
SO1R and SO2R categories at both the high and low power  categories.  I
think this  would encourage entry-level Sprinters with single-radio stations  to
compete at both power levels.

Other than that, it ain't broke, PLEASE don't fix it!

Paul, K5AF

In a message dated 9/19/2011 5:43:06 A.M. Central Daylight Time,