[CQ-Contest] How to SO2R for a SS newbie?

Mike Fatchett W0MU w0mu at w0mu.com
Tue Sep 20 17:48:45 PDT 2011

It takes time to learn for certain.  It is much easier on RTTY at least
for me.  SO2R should increase your score unless it detracts greatly from
your runs.  During slow times you should be able to find people to work
or alternate CQ's from band to band.  It will also allow you to get to
the hot band openings on 10 and 15.

You need a good switching box.  I use the Microham MK2R+.  You need two
rigs obviously and you should have bandpass filters.  You need to be
able to share antennas easily or have a decent set for your 2nd radio.

Good luck!

On 9/20/2011 8:08 AM, Craig Smith wrote:
> I believe that many if not most of the highest scoring stations in all categories use SO2R, so there must be a useful advantage given that you have the requisite station setup and operator skills for SO2R.  I qualify for neither of these criteria.
>
> But last year for the first time I did try SO2V in SS using my single K3 and N1MM logger.  It was indeed a steep learning curve and I'd rate my proficiency level as "bumbling beginner".  My estimate is that I netted 3 to 6 additional Qs and no additional Ms by using SO2V during the quiet times beginning early Sunday AM.  Your results will vary and most likely be better!
>
> 73 Craig AC0DS
>
> Craig Smith
> 1009 Alder Way
> Longmont, CO. 80503
> 303-834-7712
>
> On Sep 20, 2011, at 2:10 AM, "Dick Green WC1M"<wc1m73 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On the one hand, the rate is lower in SS than the major DX contests, so you
>> can use the second radio more. This is especially true on Sunday, when
>> things can get very slow. On the other hand, the long exchange on the second
>> radio can delay working someone answering your CQ on the other radio. It can
>> get a little awkward sometimes. This happens in DX contests, too, but less
>> frequently.
>>
>> My general feeling, though, is that SO2R has definite benefit in SS.
>>
>> 73, Dick WC1M

J6/W0MU November 21 - December 1 2011 CQ WW DX CW
W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net