[CQ-Contest] Cheating and bad journalism

Mark Luhrman w4svo at att.net
Wed Sep 21 14:05:39 PDT 2011

Well I figure that I would give my 2cents which is only my opinion, and we all
have these. First about NS3T. I have know Jamie since college. He came and
operated  ARRL DX Phone with me back in 1985 or so. He was also our Speaker for
the Florida Contest Group dinner the night before the Orlando hamfest. He
brought a lot of good info to the dinner. I learned quite a bit. He started the
Radiosport.net as he saw an opportunity that he felt was needed in the contest
community. He realized there was nowhere to learn about info on contesting and
since so many hams use the internet now, that this site could serve a useful
purpose. The thing is that each and everyone of us has made mistakes, sometimes
have passed along the wrong info to others, even though we were sometimes
unaware that we we wrong. And yes sometimes we hurt other peoples feelings. I
know that I probably would be upset if my call was associated with  the cheaters
of the contest world. So if apologies have been made, and a mistake was done
without any intentional harm, which I think was done, then lets move on. Now as
to the cheating aspect. On several occassions while I was using packet in the
assisted category, I saw hams sometimes jump on these spots within 2 mins. after
I spotted the stations. And then later claim unassisted. And some of these guys
did it more then just one time. So I decided to email one person individually
and told him that I just could not understand how his multiplier total was as
good as mine and sometimes better. He got very offensive with me. On his second
email he told me that the way he found out about these spots that he was using
the bandscope on his ICOM 76 Pro!  I also notified the president of the contest
club he was in. I was told that in several of the past contests that he had been
placed in other categories. So what I am getting around to is that some of us
know people are cheating. I also have call up the ARRL Contest Desk and told
about some that I also felt were using packet. I pretty much got a cold
shoulder. They did say they would look into the matter, but after the way the
guy responded to me, I doubt if anyting was ever done. It is very hard to
actually prove that someone is cheating. And accusing someone of doing so
without actual proof  is useless. In this country a person is innocent until
proven guilty, and sometimes we can not and they get away with it. I do not like
what is going on, but I found it does very little good to rat on someone, not
much ever comes out positive. And most of the time nothing gets done about it. A
good example is our congress!!!!