[CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contests

Michael D. Adams mda at ab1od.org
Thu Apr 12 03:40:56 PDT 2012

I'm still a relative newcomer, so take these thoughts with an appropriate
dose of salt.

I think the reason that it makes sense for remote operation to be
considered "cheating" in IOTA, but not in CQ-WPX is that one of the
(perhaps unstated) objectives of the IOTA contest is to fuel advancement
towards IOTA awards, and one of the (perhaps unstated) objectives of the
"game" in the IOTA award is to incent hams to go travel to unusual islands
to activate them.

"Go travel to unusual islands" and remote operation seem inherently
conflicting.  Therefore a ban or a restriction seems quite reasonable.

I think remote operation bans or restrictions would also be reasonable for
QSO parties (where part of the game is operating mobile or going to
activate uncommon counties), or contests like the NAQP (where the LP
limitation tends to put stations on a more level playing field) or Stew
Perry (with the "just a boy and his radio" philosophy).

However, for contests without special exotic objectives or the
level-playing-field element...I don't see remote operation as a problem.
 If I worked CQ8X (don't have my log here), I'm thankful for the Q and
perhaps the multiplier.  I wasn't specifically looking for the experience
of talking to someone in the Azores -- just to work as many stations and
prefixes as my setup, skills, and time permit -- and therefore I am not
cheated because the operator was physically in Finland rather than in close
proximity to his transceiver in the Azores.

Heck, considering the tinkering I've gone through to get remote control set
up so that I can occasionally operate from my living room couch (avoiding
complaints from the XYL of "disappearing"), I'm just really impressed to
hear about such an effective remote setup.

--
*Michael D. Adams* (AB1OD/4)
portable in Marietta, Georgia | mda at ab1od.org