[CQ-Contest] Do I need to operate assisted to figure out the calls?

Doug Smith dougw9wi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 12:50:02 PDT 2012

Michael D. Adams wrote:
> While I like it when running stations identify frequently, I have to
> ask:  is this really something that needs to be addressed as a rule?

IMHO, we too often suggest (and not quite as often, adopt) rules that are more complicated than necessary to achieve the desired goal.

The NA Sprint has addressed this issue in a creative but simple way:

	- your callsign is part of the exchange.

If you don't ID at the end of a QSO, you haven't sent your whole exchange.  If you don't send your zone in CQ WW, the QSO doesn't count; similarly, if
you don't send your own callsign in a Sprint QSO, it doesn't count.

Why not make this simple change in the exchange of other contests?

Certainly no contest requires faster work than Sprint -- if we can live with IDing in every QSO in Sprint, we can certainly live with it in WPX!

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66