[CQ-Contest] [wrtc2014] WRTC Category Weighting Factor

Martin Monsalvo, LU5DX lu5dx at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 10:31:41 EDT 2012

Steve!
Amazing great point! I don't know why, but many are responding about this in private emails.

However, as I've been pushing for the elimination of the SO/SO(A) separation for the past 10 years. I must say that even worse is the Assisted/Unassisted situation.

I won't say I hate the guy from whose head the idea of the Assisted/Unassisted separation emerged in the first place. But he simply created a way of cheating over the others, based on his poor reasoning.
This poor reasoning says that if you use a tool that presents information on your screen you are no longer a true single op. Freaking twisted way of thinking.
The same could have been said when contest logging software was born: Those not using a pen and paper to do the logging and "duping" and taking advantage of Super Check Partial, Computer CW sending, real time auto duping are no longer real single ops! They are just computer assisted single ops.

The use of the information presented by a dx or telnet cluster represents in fact a whole lot les "assistance" than computer logging itself.
Furthermore, this separation did not exist when friends used to warn friends over VHF/UHF, or even the phone, and just a few were unfairly using that advantage. When it became massive and available to almos everyone. The whole fiasco regarding "assistance" starts. Because this technology usage is hardly detected.

Jeepers Creepers! (My Gosh).

Unbelievable lack of vision of yesteryears.

With all the respect and admiration I feel for contest organizers. I believe changes need to be more dynamic and adjust to reality faster.

Martin, LU5DX