[CQ-Contest] Split operation in CQ WW CW

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 15:05:49 EDT 2012

On 08/28/2012 08:09 AM, Ward Silver wrote:

>> Option 1: DX quits and goes to beach.
>> Option 2: DX tries calling someone on the same frequency.
>> Option 3: DX starts S&P and never tries to resume running
>> Option 4: DX asks up 3
>> Option 5: DX asks up 5
>> Option 6: DX asks up and listens 3-7 up
>
> Jukka, there is another option that will surely become more popular: DX QSYs
> and starts another smaller pileup.
>

> Given that we now have the tools to know so much about who is operating
> where, running strategies must evolve to limit the pileup size to maximize
> rate.

"We" have the tools ? Who is this "we" ?

You mean, those who operate in the multi-op or single-op assisted categories
that have DX spotting and Skimmer access, right ?

For the rest of us traditionalists doing S&P, a frequency-hopping running
station is nothing but a frustrating headache for several reasons:

1) If I work the station quickly, before they QSY, I have now marked them in the
bandmap as worked. I go back on the hunt, and a few minutes later, find another
pileup. But, alas, it's the same station I just worked. Time wasted, especially
if they are using the so-called pileup-reducing technique of rarely signing
their call.

2) If I can't easily break the pileup, I mark them in the bandmap as unworked,
and come back later. But, drat, they are gone. I can only hope I stumble across
them again.

Please, let's not promote frequency hopping as a recommended operating technique !

73,
Steve, N2IC