[CQ-Contest] Split operation in CQ WW CW

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Tue Aug 28 15:52:09 EDT 2012

Reasonable points as well.  I am not a slouch at CW but I am far from
one of the best.  The pileups I saw from J6 were bigger than anything I
recall from V47.  I suspect J6 on CW was much more rare and we did not
have skimmer, code readers or computers for that matter.  I tried
cutting my power back from 500 watts to 100 then 10 but the pile up was
still unmanageable for me.  At 10 watts I was getting covered too much
to be productive.  The choice was to stay there and work a rate of 50 an
hour or move.  If I was doing CQ WW CW regularly from a DX location I
could certainly do better.  It was a good learning experience for all of
us.  If he had more elements we could have attempted to null out say NA
and concentrate on EU or Asia or vise versa.

I only recall having issues on 10m when the band was open what seemed
everywhere.  Most of the other bands we were able to sit still and run
run run.

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net:23 or w0mu-1.dnsdynamic.com
Http://www.w0mu.com