[CQ-Contest] Split operation in CQ WW CW

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Tue Aug 28 18:18:53 EDT 2012

I have to completely agree with Steve.  A large pileup invariably covers
more spectrum than a small one as callers tune slightly off frequency in
order to be heard.  If the DX station jumps to a new frequency every
time the pileup reaches that state it means that he's trashing a lot
more bandwidth than if he stayed put and listened up a bit.   It forces
other running stations to move in a cascading fashion, and because of
the time lags involved for affected running stations to react the net
result is probably the second worst scenario I can think of ... the
worst being for the DX station to vaguely announce that he's "listening up".

Frequency hopping is fine when you're trying to find a frequency clear
of QRM, but frequency hopping because you can't deal with your own
pileup is a very bad idea.

Dave   AB7E