[CQ-Contest] Can a call be too short?

Barry Merrill, W5GN w5gn at mxg.com
Wed Feb 15 18:31:39 PST 2012

I find the (long) slash character in E I / W5GN is almost never
missed, and often gets my piddly 99 watts and vertical recognized,
especially when I repeat just EI/ EI/ in a serious pileup, so I'm
not prepared to agree that short callsigns are always better.

I had hoped to be there this weekend for ARRL CW and would have
kept track of call busts, but KA5PQD, my bride of 1 billion seconds,
decided to have an emergency appendectomy last week, so we'll miss
the CW, but should be there for the SSB and then WPX SSB, where
the question is moot - unless rephrased to small number of syllables!

73

Barry, W5GN