[CQ-Contest] Cheating

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Jul 19 04:04:14 PDT 2012

Is there anyone who hasn't cheated, as Dave defines the term, at some
time in our lives?  But that's a far cry from defining cheating as "the
norm."  A better way of thinking about it might be to take time spent
cheating versus total time spent in the activity.

As for enforcement, I think it's analogous to the enforcing of traffic
laws.  That cop car on the shoulder, or traffic camera warning sign,
won't be of any significance for most people using the road.  Their
presence will probably deter some people from speeding, aggressive
driving or running stop lights.  Some of those who aren't deterred will
be caught, and the object lesson of being caught and given a ticket
won't be lost on those who might be thinking of doing the same things.
And finally, those who persist in such behavior should have their
licenses taken away.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000