[CQ-Contest] Do I need to operate assisted to figure out the calls?

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Mon Jul 30 07:41:25 PDT 2012

On 29/07/2012 17:43, Mats Strandberg wrote:

> During the IOTA Contest I realized that some stations have become so
> self-assured that everyone checks the cluster, so the need to ID after
> contacts has become useless.

This issue applies to all major contests, not
just IOTA.  If the stations concerned know that
most other stations know their callsign from the
internet, they have no need to identify unless
they run out of callers.

After all, there is no rule saying you must
identify after every QSO, or after every 10
QSOs.  No rule has been broken, so everything
must be OK.

Perhaps a new rule is needed.

It seems to me, however, that non-identification
is a natural and legitimate consequence of permitting
the use of non-amateur communications technologies
in amateur radio contests.

73,
Paul EI5DI