[CQ-Contest] TRIATHLON DX Contest

Rudy Bakalov r_bakalov at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 05:16:52 PDT 2012

This is indeed a great first prize!  More contests should do the same :-)

That said, the importance of the prize will likely vary across participants.  To me, personally, competing against high performance contesters and well equipped stations is where the fun and excitement is. In other words, winning over, say, K5ZD is more important than the 10 days on the beach and thus, personally, I would rather forgo the smaller contest with a better prize in favor of the much bigger and more competitive one with only a plaque.

Then there are the contesters that participate to work that rare DXpedition.  Can the smaller contest motivate people to sponsor and do DXpeditions?

My point is that the concept is great and long over-due. It will bring more fun and possibly new ways of looking at the operators, their stations, and winning strategies. And precisely because of that execution should be thoughtful to maximize the impact of the sponsors' investments.

Rudy N2WQ