[CQ-Contest] CQWW CW P40W(W2GD) SOAB HP

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 15:33:03 EST 2012

Congrats to John on a super, iron-man effort in CQWW. I'm sure I
couldn't have done 6000+ QSO's, hand-sent !

However, as a member of the N1MM Logger software team, I feel a need to
clarify some of the misunderstandings that John has about N1MM Logger,
so that others aren't discouraged from using it. I'm not being critical
of John, as it's perfectly understandable that with 1.5 hours of prep
time, he wouldn't be aware of all of the basic features of N1MM Logger.

The sentences in " " are from John's 3830 writeup:

"Complicating this was the need to manually change bands on N1MM."

- This is due to John not having a USB-to-serial interface between the
borrowed laptop and his radio. N1MM Logger, of course, supports the CAT
interface for virtually every radio manufactured in the past 25 years.

"I really missed the comfort level I enjoy using Win-Test, in
particular the ability to immediately determine what countries were
worked on
which bands.  No doubt I missed dozen's of opportunities to move mults
without
this data."

- N1MM Logger has two ways to immediately determine if a country, zone
or station is needed on another band. The Available window has
color-coded "buttons" that illuminate for each band. Gray indicates a
dupe. Red indicates a needed country or zone. Green indicates a needed
double multiplier. Blue indicates a needed station (but not a needed
multiplier). The Check window (i.e. the SCP window) has a text display
to indicate the other bands a multiplier or station is needed on.

73,
Steve, N2IC