[CQ-Contest] Help HS ham needs boom piece

Bob Naumann W5OV at W5OV.COM
Wed Oct 3 07:17:48 EDT 2012

Charly,

$700 seems excessive; however, shipping something that long to Thailand will
be expensive no matter what.

>From what Fedex.com says, it looks like about $500 is about what you should
expect to pay for the shipping alone for their International Economy
service.
Someone who ships a lot with Fedex (or UPS or DHL) might be able to get
somewhat of a discount, but it will cost hundreds of dollars to ship
something of this size to Thailand regardless.

Are they including the price of the tubing in the $700 price? That would
still be very high in my opinion.

You could likely find a surface shipping method that would cost less (and
take a relative eternity), but the likelihood is that the tubing would end
up getting damaged and you'd be right back where you are now.

If you're going to purchase some other antennas or tubing to do your 10/6m
idea, ship that stuff and the replacement Hygain tube all together at the
same time to save shipping cost.

W5OV