[CQ-Contest] Idiom Press

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Fri Oct 19 13:25:43 EDT 2012

The problem with Idiom Press seems to be that they periodically go into
some kind of coma as far as customer response is concerned.  It doesn't
take much searching through reflector archives and eHam.net postings to
see that the problem has come and gone repeatedly over most of the last
decade.  Check for yourself if you don't believe me.  You can even find
public apologies from their ownership explaining some issue and
promising better support ... but it doesn't seem to hold up.  Idiom
Press and ICE seem to be the two worst offenders in the ham radio arena
for periodic bad customer responsiveness.

By the way, I have next to zero faith in the majority of eHam.net
reviews.  Below average products often get rated a 5 and rarely is there
any kind of objective comparison to anything  ... specs or other
products.  But one day a couple of years ago I waded through a ton of
reviews to see what caused people to give ratings of 1 or 0 for various
products.  Invariably those low ratings were given for poor customer
service ... sometimes for slow delivery but way more often for simple
lack of communication.

Hams in general turn out to be pretty tolerant of marginal quality
products (at least if they don't break), but they are almost rabidly
intolerant of being left in the dark.  Why any entity serving the ham
radio market hasn't figured that out by now is beyond me.

73,
Dave   AB7E