[CQ-Contest] Cheating as a moral issue

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Fri Sep 14 13:40:38 EDT 2012

"Until then I think the public outing of the perpetrators and life time
bans are sufficient. "

Yeah, that's actually the problem ... those don't happen.   You see
people posting all the time about cheating instances that they are aware
of, yet they almost never post the callsign of the perpetrator.   Hams
who do speak out against competitors they have reason to believe are
cheating are themselves publicly vilified (check back in the CQ-Contest
reflector archives and you'll see what I mean).  A couple of years ago I
was looking at online pictures from Dayton that showed several hams
getting chummy with an east European ham that had just been disqualified
from one of the major contests instead of treating him as a pariah.
Hams caught blatantly cheating are allowed to withdraw their logs or
reclassify them instead of receiving a lifetime ban.

We get what we deserve.

Please don't get me wrong ... any contest that forces me to prove I
didn't cheat is a contest that I won't be entering.  I'm not going to be
paying the penalty for someone else's bad behavior.

But we wouldn't need to even be discussing such things if we all simply
decided to excise the cheaters from our midst.

Dave  AB7E