[CQ-Contest] shack table height - optimal for CW contesting?

Larry lknain at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 20 18:47:07 EDT 2012

29 to 31 inches is pretty much the standard for desktop height.  That is
often to high for comfortable typing. Keyboard trays are often a few inches
lower. The lower height is usually to reduce fatigue and reduce the wrist
problems like carpel tunnel. You can get a similar effect by putting your
feet a bit higher, raising your chair, and making sure your monitor is high
enough so you are not stooped over. I have forgotten much of the ergonomic
rationale behind all of this but it can work. I suspect keeping a key or key
paddle about the same level as the keyboard  may be useful to some.

Just sitting down for a couple minutes to see if a setup is good is probably
insufficient. You will need to sit and type or send with the key for some
time just as you might during a contest. That way you might begin to feel
any fatigue the setup brings and you can then make adjustments. It is time
consuming but can be worth it in the end.  If there are no contests to your
liking in the short term you can run something like Morserunner to simulate
a contest.

73, Larry  W6NWS