[CQ-Contest] ARRL RTTY Roundup "assisted" class

Mark n2qt at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 30 13:11:10 EST 2013

There just aren't as many rtty skimmers as for cw.  Wz7i near Philadelphia is the best
of the ones here.  There are several in Europe which will help whenever they spot you.
The rtty skimmer technology is not as advanced as for cw, and it is harder to do it well.

There is a digital only cluster described at
http://www.walter-dallmeier.de/software-by-dl4rck/rckskimmer/digital-cluster-system/
You can set options to only allow only rtty stations and only those that cq.
Most of the rtty skimmers are also fed into the RBN so you may already have access
to spots there or from your favorite cluster.

If you want to see what it takes to run a rtty skimmer(actually called Rckskimmer) take
a look at WZ7I's web page, especially:
http://wz7i.com/cw-skimmer/rtty-skimmer.html

Wes runs a dozen or more virtual receivers along with several conventional receivers to
provide the coverage he does.  I hope to run a 2 radio rtty skimmer for RU from here in
Virginia but there are many gaps here in the US.

Additional Rckskimmer info is at
http://www.walter-dallmeier.de/software-by-dl4rck/rckskimmer/

I ran cqww rtty as assisted and found the spot volume was pretty good.

There is a real need for some rtty skimmers however.

Mark. N2QT