[CQ-Contest] Summarizing the Skimmer Accuracy Thread

w5ov at w5ov.com w5ov at w5ov.com
Wed Feb 20 16:22:08 EST 2013

Mario,

Your analysis is not correct. It has nothing to do with EK3LR spots as I
would not have seen them. Locally, this is blocked from the K3LR system
and we don't see them or send them out.

It is the many, many other errors that persisted throughout the contest of
calls being spotted wrong, over and over and over.

Some examples:
C6AGP was spotted as many other callsigns
HA30S (H A Three Zero S) was spotted as T30S and others
N2NT was spotted as T2NT
K1LZ was spotted as EK1LZ
et al
ad infinitum

Yes, there were many others and they varied.

It became exhausting to clear the bandmap of all of these repeated errors
over and over and over again.

It got to the point that there seemed to be more busted spots than good
ones. At that point, the value of this over the old-fashioned(?) human
packet network really becomes a concern.

Skimmer is a good thing, but propagating these repeated errors all over
the globe makes little sense to me.

W5OV