[CQ-Contest] Single Op/Get Scores Assisted

Jack Haverty. k3fiv at arrl.net
Mon Feb 25 18:54:11 EST 2013

To answer Tor's comment -- I was saying that Prospector use would
qualify as unassisted, if you consider the specific wording of the
WRTC rules.  Rule 12.4 only excludes "callsign or exchange" received
from network sources, and require that callsign and exchange be
obtained only from  "tuning the radio and listening by
human ear".  That's true of Prospector.  At least I think many people
could convince themselves that it was OK. Other contest rules may have
wording which would exclude it, but the WRTC rules don't (at least as
I read them).

To answer Bob's question -- if everyone used Prospector it would
certainly change the game, just as other technology introductions have
in the past.  It might be more fun, or less.  Contesting in the
pre-computer days was quite different.  But contesting went through
that change and now almost everybody has computers in their station.
If everybody has a technology, I think it would be a different game,
but still fair.

I think the root of the issue is that we attempt in contests to
delineate different categories of entrants, so that individuals can
feel that they are competing with "others like me".  The category
boundaries aren't always perfect but they help make it more fun.

Defining a category boundary using criteria for defining "assisted" is
much harder than a criteria like Single-Op, or Low-Power.  The wording
is very difficult to capture what you mean so that there's little
confusion about what's on which side of the line.

I think the Internet is different as a component of a ham radio
station.  Other earlier forms of technology advance - amplifiers,
keyers, towers, SOnR gear, filters, computers, loggers, etc., have all
involved using that technology to "assist" operators in using ham
radio for communications.  In contrast, with the Internet, we now have
introduced another totally separate type of *communications* to
augment or even replace ham radio communications.

Instead of "assisting" us in using ham radio communications, the
Internet allows us to use another totally separate means of
communications to assist us in getting a better score.

That's not necessarily wrong.  It's fun too.  I just think it would be
easier and less confusing to delineate the category of "Assisted" as
"any use of information obtained by any communications mechanism other
than ham radio."

So, for example, you could use Skimmer, Prospector, or any technology
you can imagine, as long as it is used within your station boundary
and only by ham radio communications (e.g., maybe teamed with your
club members over a VHF link).  You would be "Unassisted".

If you choose to use the Internet, to look at online scores, get WWV
propagation reports, receive spots, etc., that's OK too.  You would be
"Assisted", because your ability to communicate by ham radio is being
augmented - assisted - by the Internet communications service.

73,
/Jack de K3FIV