[CQ-Contest] What's all the talk about "Frequency owner?"

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Mon Jan 14 21:39:33 EST 2013

Several times while I was "running" during the recent NAQP another op
would plop down on the frequency (NOTE, I did NOT say it was "MY"
frequency because no one "owns" a frequency") and called CQ.

Only a very few times the fellow figured out that I had been calling CQ
on the frequency, and occasionally making a contact.  Most other times I
just searched around, found a "fairly quiet" frequency, and called CQ again.

I was running my "might 4.9999 watts to a cloud warmer antenna" so it
was perhaps understandable.

But, in past encounters, when I was running 100 watts to a "fair to
middling" wire antenna, I found that ops would try the same tactic.
After 5 or 10 minutes of neither of us making contacts, or only very few
contacts, the other station would slink away.  And, when on the very,
very rare occasion that I was in a contest with a "full gallon" station
and a "fair to middling full size yagi" I NEVER gave in to the LID who
tried to stomp on the frequency I was using. (Note, I NEVER said, and
NEVER will say that the frequency I was using was "MY" frequency because
the FCC doesn't assign frequencies.)  But, if I'm there first, and I
have a "fair to middlin' signal, I'm not about to leave it unless
someone declares "EMERGENCY.")

So,all the discussion about "who's frequency it is" seems specious to me.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time