[CQ-Contest] Non-assisted & Assisted

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Jan 27 10:15:06 EST 2013

There's another dimension of this that should be understood and factored
in.  Many people operate in "our" contests on a totally casual basis.
Typically, they do this to increase their country totals for DXCC, or
states for WAS, or some other award, or simply for the thrill of working
rare DX  They may make a few QSOs, over an hour or two.

The overwhelming majority of these "grazers" use DX cluster spots to
increase the return on whatever time they spend in any given contest.
What we should want to do is to encourage these folks to convert from
"grazing" to competing, spending more time in our contests, making many
more QSOs, and helping us continue to grow.

A lot of these same people, I submit, are also attracted to the hobby by
technology, and particularly by computers and the Internet.  Look at the
stats for assisted versus unassistedentries in digital contests, where
manysuch tech enthusiasts tend to congregate.

So what does this have to do with the topic?  I believe that if we
structure our contests either to exclude assisted participants, or to
unfairly penalize them (by making them enter as multi-single, for
example), then we risk turning off the very people we need as the next
generation's active contesters.  Same thing goes for thoughtless public
condemnation of assisted operating.  Surely there's room for both, and a
free choice to be made.

I am *not* advocating merging of the single op categories, simply that
we not discriminate against (and turn off) potential converts to our cause.

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at