[CQ-Contest] Non-assisted & Assisted

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 12:41:36 EST 2013

There isn't anything "hard" about any of this.  There are, however,
considerations regarding the number of categories in some contests,
especially ARRL where in some cases awards are made for eighty some
odd sections and every DXCC country that might have a participant.
Six of the nine categories you mentioned - all but the multi op
catogories may also have single band possibilities. Multiply 6 x 6 and
add three for total of 39 categories.  Mutliply that times 83 and you
get 3237 potential awards just for USA and Canada alone, and many may
be issued to the only station that entered in a particular category
from a particular section who only made a few contacts.

This doesn't have a lot to fo with the discussion but something the
sponsors have to consider.  Take a single band, two mode contest like
the 10m contest and add a factor of 3 for CW, Phone, and Mixed mode
options for the appropriate power and operator categories and then add
in the Mexican States and see what you get.

There are pros and cons to the idea of having as many possible first
place awards as there might be participants in a given event.

Stan, K5GO

Sent from Stan's IPhone

On Jan 29, 2013, at 8:36 AM, Joe <nss at mwt.net> wrote:

> It should be easy - MM, M2, MS, SOHP, SOHP(A), SOLP, SOLP(A), QRP,
> QRP(A)  -
> What the heck is so hard about that?  Anyone?
>
> AGREED 100%
>
> Joe WB9SBD
> Sig
> The Original Rolling Ball Clock
> Idle Tyme
> Idle-Tyme.com
> http://www.idle-tyme.com
> On 1/28/2013 8:29 PM, Edward Sawyer wrote:
>> If contest committees are spending time to check on the use of
>> assisted in
>> the non-assisted class, then the logical conclusion is that it
>> would give
>> the cheater an advantage.  Otherwise why bother. So, it is clear
>> that it has
>> an effect on the outcome.  And it has had an effect on the
>> outcome.in at
>> least one recent CQWW, the HP(A) category outscored the HP
>> category.  I am
>> quite sure it wasn't the first time.
>>

>> So why is this topic so suddenly being floated by some very
>> familiar names
>> in the contest circles?  Fess up folks.
>>

>> Both categories are big and popular in all power categories.  Why
>> is there a
>> need to change it?
>>

>> I completely agree with an early part of this thread that every
>> contest
>> should have an assisted category and to not force assisted
>> operators into
>> the Multi-Single category just for using packet or skimmer.  That
>> is as
>> unfair as forcing single ops to compete with operators with global
>> assistance.
>>

>> It should be easy - MM, M2, MS, SOHP, SOHP(A), SOLP, SOLP(A), QRP,
>> QRP(A)  -
>> What the heck is so hard about that?  Anyone?
>>

>> Ed  N1UR

There isn't anything hard about any of this.  There are considerations
regarding the number of categories in some contests, perhaps
especially ARRL where awards are made for eighty some odd sections and
every DXCC country that might have a participant.  Six of the nine
categories you mentioned - all but the multi op catogiries also have