[CQ-Contest] Assisted / Non Assisted

Jeff Clarke ku8e at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 29 18:46:54 EST 2013

Here are my thoughts...

1)  Make one unlimited single operator category. Someone in that category can use all the technology that’s available such as packet spots, skimmer, SO2R etc...   I think that would probably eliminate all the cheating except for someone running high power or claiming single operator when they have a relief operator. Those two things are hard to catch.

2) Keep a traditional single operator category. None of the technology I mentioned above is allowed. Just one radio and one operator. That would put more strategy back in the single-op category to decide which band to be on to maximize your score. I also think a category like this might be helpful to draw people into contesting. Plus those who have left contesting because they don’t have the resources to be competitive might become interested again. Have maybe a 5 minute rule for band changes. That way you can catch people that are trying to cheat.

Jeff KU8E