[CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules for 2013 Announced

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 14:49:50 EDT 2013

On 7/2/2013 11:00 AM, cq-contest-request at contesting.com wrote:
> Each time you take a break of 60 minutes
> or more, the clock stops for the duration of that break, then re-starts
> when you do.

It is important to note that "60 minutes" means (as far as I know) 60
consecutive "empty" clock minutes during which no QSO was logged.
(Seconds are not considered - again, as far as I know.)

This is a valid 60-minute off time in a log:
1358 QSO
1359 QSO
     first empty minute at 1400
     last empty minute at 1459
1500 QSO
1501 QSO

This is NOT a valid 60-minute off time in a log:
1358 QSO
1359 QSO
     first empty minute at 1400
     last empty minute at 1458
1459 QSO
1500 QSO

There must be 60 consecutive "empty" minutes. The "time B minus time A"
gap of 1459 - 1359 = 60 does not meet the 60-minute test because only 59
consecutive minutes are actually "empty" - the last "empty" minute is
1458, not 1459.

Leaving a gap of 60 "empty" minutes is always the safest way to be sure
one is in compliance with off-time minimum-break rules since the exact
requirement is rarely stated exactly, nor are the consequences of a
violation spelled out.  Be safe and don't lose a big chunk of your log
because you were one minute too hasty!

If this is incorrect, please educate me, contest sponsors.

73, Ward N0AX