[CQ-Contest] : Reverse beacon of my own call?

Edward Sawyer SawyerEd at Earthlink.net
Fri Jul 26 06:49:21 EDT 2013

I believe the rules should be reworded to end this debate.  If the RBN
should not be used for monitoring purposes, it should state so by removing
it from the QSO alerting sub topic only (it can stay there as well - why
not) and define any prohibited use and it should specifically define what a
remote receiver is and isn't (since it sure looks like a remote receiver
network to me).  While we are at it, how about dealing with the practice of
using Skimmers in Panadapter mode to find holes in a band to CQ on.  How the
heck is that any different than this discussion?  Numerous people have
stated publicly that they do this in unassisted competition.  Way more
"assisted looking" to me than pinging the RBN to see if a band is open.

Personally, I have done neither - monitor my signal using RBN in a contest
nor do I have panadapter/skimmer technology in the shack.  But as technology
is available, it is imperative to make sure the rules governing use and the
specifics of definition are clearly defined.  The very debate on this
reflector of different interpretations DEFINES THE NEED for clarification in
the rules, in my opinion.

Ed  N1UR