[CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules and SCP

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 21:53:20 EDT 2013

A few comments, inline...

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 06/17/2013 02:48 PM, Richard F DiDonna NN3W wrote:
> I'm having a slight issue with one thing you've written Bob. You wrote
> that it is "not OK to go back and correct this after the fact." This
> seems at odds with what I have heard stations say for years: namely that
> if you make a change during the contest in in the minutes immediately
> after the contest, its OK.

I have always subscribed to the philosophy that the only changes I can
make to the log after the contest were those mistakes I noted during the
contest. I keep a scratch pad and pen handy during the contest for just
this purpose.

Then we have this proposed rule:

19. Correction of logged call signs by using any database ...  is not
allowed.

When you use SCP, you are using a database. This would make using SCP a
rules violation.

>  Indeed, in WRTC, you're allowed 30 minutes to
> make corrections and to enter in any notes that you made during the
> contest.

Only from those notes you made during the contest. If, after the
contest, you noticed that you logged P04W instead of P40W, you're out of
luck - it wasn't on the notes you made during the contest.

> Two examples come to mind:
> in CQWW, you work HG108DX on one band but you entered the call into your
> log as HG109DX. You work him three hours later on a different band yet
> your worked call history shows you have never worked HG108DX, but you
> KNOW you worked him. A quick scan of partials indicates you purportedly
> worked HG109DX, but you know now this to be wrong. My understanding is
> that you've always been able to make this correction during the contest.

We have this existing (but recent) rule:

13. Call signs logged must be the same as those exchanged over the air
by the entrants during the QSO.

As part of "situational awareness", when I am running I try to look at
several previous QSO's in the log. Sometimes I discover a mistake in the
log, and correct it. To meet the letter-of-the-law, I send the corrected
callsign and TU. This may happen several minutes later.

This rule only applies when I am running. I don't send the call of the
other station on S&P QSO's. This recent rule is all the more reason to
not send the other station's call.