[CQ-Contest] KILLING THE GOLDEN GOOSE

W0ua at aol.com W0ua at aol.com
Sun Mar 17 10:29:04 EDT 2013

KILLING THE GOLDEN GOOSE

I don't do these forum-things as a rule, but my friend K5GO tipped me  that
there was a serious (?) suggestion about "combining" the SOAB and SO (A)
categories.  Apparently there was a survey sent around, but I surely wasn't
aware of it. (As an aside, I have to wonder how many more like me, who've
been  in nearly every major CQ HF Contest over the last several years, were
similarly  unaware this was happening?  How many of those who received the
survey  might be "casual" entrants as opposed to serious SOAB-types?)  Anyway,
thanks for the heads-up, Stan, and  I think I've seen enough of the
discussion to pitch a few marbles into the ring...

First, "combining" is a nice word that doesn't really mean what it says in
this discussion.  What's being put forward is eliminating the SOAB
category, in favor of the "Assisted" category.   I've seen it said  here that 33
percent of the single-op entries are "Assisted."  I take from  this, then,
that 66 percent reside in the nominal SOAB category.  That  sounds like a
pretty healthy majority to me--surely not an anachronism ripe for  the scrap
heap!  I submit that SOAB remains the greatest challenge in the  contest game,
requiring the highest levels of skill, dedication and  endurance--which is
why it attracts so many of those folks for whom those  qualities are valued.
This catgeory comprises a big share of the best operators  on this
planet--who should likewise be highly-valued by the contest  sponsors!  So, am I
getting this right--that the majority category...the  category with so many
outstanding competitors--the one presenting the highest  challenge--this is the
one we would even consider eliminating?  The tail  should wag the dog, you
say?   That can't be right--I must be missing  something here?

I saw mention made that we need to get with the "new normal" in contesting.
 I'm guessing that this implies Internet assistance.  Hasn't that already
been fully accepted?  As it stands, The "Assisted" category even runs to
single-band entrants.  33 percent may not be a majority but it is a sizable
group and I think they've been nicely accommodated--there are clearly lots of
 folks who enjoy and prefer this mode--and all the categories have been
provided  to support them.  I'm not into "Assisted" myself, but if it floats
peoples'  boats and gets them on the air, that's all good.  So, where's the
problem  in all this that requires kicking nominal SOAB to the curb?
Again, I must be missing something here?

I notice that the subject of cheating comes up in this chat, and with it
come a couple of troubling implications:

(1)  That cheating (of the Internet variety) is taking place among  SOAB
entrants

(2)  That this purported cheating cannot always be detected and  ajudicated
by the sponsors

Certainly, SOAB is the most "cheatable" category--I'm sure it does happen.
That acknowledged, you can call me naive, but I don't think Internet
cheating is  either significant or widespread in the SOAB category.  But...let's
just  say for a moment that it was:  Would the proper response be to
surrender to  the cheaters and eliminate the mainstream category because it's
"cheatable?"  I enter SOAB contests believing that the overwhelming and
pervasive ethic is for operating--as I do--on honorable terms.  Further, I  trust
the sponsors and administrators to protect the integrity of their events  to
the very best of their abilities and resources.  I think we have to  accept
some factors as articles-of-faith--and we seem to have a majority of
entrants willing to do just that.  Eliminating our category-of-choice seems  a
rather shabby reward for our trust and devotion over not just years, but
decades.

I noticed one post here which posited that, in effect, this is all just
about fun, leisure, relaxation.  Playing 18 holes in the sun on a May
afternoon is fun.  Fly-fishing in a mountain stream is leisurely.   That is, unless
you're striving to beat your best golf score or competing in  stroke-play
against the club champ.  Or, perhaps you're tracking fish  caught, in a
friendly game with your buddies.  If there's competition  involved (even with
yourself), that always seems to add a little urgency to the  proceedings.  The
SOAB competition--arguably the toughest, the most  individualistic test of
all--is about as "urgent" as it gets among it's skilled,  dedicated and
perennial devotees.  Kill that off while it's still in its  prime and you're
amputating a healthy limb.  Why would anyone want to do  that?  I must be
missing something here...

Geo   W0UA