[CQ-Contest] Is the wpx a prefix test or dx contest?

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Thu May 9 08:48:40 EDT 2013

> When the multiplier for points per contact  is higher than the
> Multiplier for the purpose of the contest there is an issue.

I'm not so sure there is an issue. Every contest is a mix of "work for
points" vs "work for mults" and there is always a trade-off to maximize
score.

Another contest where it is more productive to work more high-point
contacts than it is to battle it out for a new mult, is the CQ 160. A DX
contact is worth 10 points, and wow, is it productive to rake in those
10-pointers. And of course a fair number of those will be new mults. Just
like in WPX where, perhaps more than any other contest, there is
near-infinite sea of mults to be fished.

> How to solve it is a completely different animal!  Maybe a distance
> based contact point system Where the guy working EU from Colorado is
> rewarded more than the guy on the East coast?  Just a thought.

Several contests in the 60's had big matrices setting up zones and points
per zone to reward the "hard contacts". I don't think any of these survived
for very long.

The Stew Perry of course is the distance-and-power-scoring-based contest
that I know best, using grid squares.

Tim N3QE