[CQ-Contest] Will there be anyone to work in 20 years?

Joe nss at mwt.net
Thu May 30 10:28:40 EDT 2013

Similar Situation.

Go figure the guy (ME) that has limited income, what does he do? He has
TWO hobbies that can be and now days mostly are expensive to do.

Radio, & Astronomy.

These two hobbies are very similar in nature. for the most part they are
indeed hobbies one does alone.

And entry level Radios, and Telescopes are priced similar a few hundred
bucks.

Then the top of the line stuff can be very expensive. Telescopes can
make Radio equipment look like garage sale prices. Like $20,000.00
bucks! And just like radio  that is just the scope. you still can spend
thousands on prerferial support equipment. Like top of the line
Eyepieces. Without them the scope can not be used. You look through the
eyepiece. Top of the line ones can easily cost several hundred dollars
just for one. And you need many to fully utilize the capabilities of the
scope.

Analogy  Radio = Antenns,,  Telescope = Eyepieces.

And everything is similar ya got radios and telescopes,  ya got Towers
and antennas,  and outside shelters for the telescopes. computers for
both. as well as tons of other perferial support equipments.

I fount the two hobbies are complimentary, daytime play radio, cloudy
nights play radio, clear nights use telescope.

There are clubs for each.
There are organizations that support and promote both like the ARRL for
Amateur Radio, and the Astronomical League for Astronomy.

Thing is even tho the estimated population of Amateur Astronomers is
hard to determine, (no license required and able to track) the latest
estimate from the Astronomical league say that the population in the USA
is between 300,000 and 400,000 people are interested in Astronomy, as a
hobby more than just the casual interest, in other words just like the
level of interest of someone interested in radio and was interested
enough to get their license.

Even more similarities are
Amateur Radio has "HOA's" and CC&R's that restrict their ability to do
the hobby,
Astronomy has Light pollution.

But there is one BIG difference that i see between the two.

Amateur Radio has more licensed in the hobby than it has ever had in
history, yet all ya hear is how it is a dead hobby, and need to get more
people involved. or it will surely die soon. 700,000+ licenced in USA alone

Astronomy maybe only has 300,000 to 400,000 in the hobby in the USA,
yet the hobby is thriving and you never ever hear about it dieing. The
only thing you hear is to be really serious about it you have to now
either live where there are no lights, or spend hours driving to one
hoping for good weather.

Imagine having to every time you wanted to use your radios having to do
it AKA Field Day style! Where you can't do it where you live and you
have to drive 500 miles to set up and play radio, thats what probably
90% of amateur astronomers now have to do.

Yet I have yet to hear one compliant about the hobby dieing and needing
to get more people interested.

Interesting huh?

Joe WB9SBD